A park bench is an ideal spot to take in the sounds ... and the messages.
When beginning to write this piece we realize that, living in downtown Savannah, we take the rich tradition of Savannah bells for granted. Yet, we treasure and welcome now the reminder of this to turn our attention to actually listening. Perhaps there are echoes, too, as we pass the now-silent bells, set as monuments to the days and people who pioneered a rich life for us now in Savannah, Georgia USA.
|The Old Exchange Bell, the |
bell of the former Savannah city hall,
resides in Emmett Park on Bay Street.
"The first notice of the arrival of the welcome
vessel [during General Lafayette's Savannah
visit] was by a few strokes of the
-- Source: "History ofSavannah"
The official City Hall Bell chimes noon midday.
We should not forget that the bells ring out and symbolize the spirit of America, with echoes of rich heritages from Ireland, Europe, Scotland, Bavaria, France, Portugal, and Spain. Though not sailors, the first 114 colonists would learn that nautical time was signaled by strokes of a ship's bell; eight bells signaled at 4:00, 8:00, or 12:00 o'clock, either a.m. or p.m.
Every colonist who arrived in the Georgia colony by ship would know that the ringing of bells met an important purpose. Each would bring some awareness of ancient bells from their native lands.
THE BELLS ARE A UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE
"During the colony's first ten years the trustees sent to Georgia at their expense 1,847 colonists, of whom 1,008 were British people and 839 were foreigners. In Georgia a visitor could hear Gaelic spoken at Darien, German at Ebenezer, French at Highgate, Spanish at Hampstead, Creek among the Indians in the forest." Source: "The People of Georgia, An Illustrated Social History" by Mills Lane.From colonial days when the Savannah City Market was in Wright Square and later Ellis Square, a church bell rang for 15 minutes at sunrise. It alerted the citizens that the public market was open for business. Farmers and hunters brought their goods to sell there.
"Whistles and Bells echoed from boat to boat" on February 7, 1923. Savannah was the welcoming port for the nation’s last returning troops from World War I, known as “America’s Last Thousand.” Actually numbering about 1,200 men of the 8th Infantry, they were transported from the Rhine in Germany on the St. Mihiel, many bringing home new families.... The steamer Hildegarde carried children and a tug was full of newspapermen and photographers. An estimated 75,000 spectators lined the river and streets of Savannah to welcome home the soldiers.... As the transport neared the City Hall the Washington guns, presented to the Chatham Artillery by George Washington, lifted up their aged voices in salutation. With the third shot a mammoth smoke ring rose into the air, floating like a halo for a few seconds in space before it dissolved. Whistles and bells echoed from boat to boat and cheers reverberated from shore to shore."
The bell from the U.S.S. SAVANNAH, a Liberty Ship struck by a German radio-controlled glide bomb off the coast of Salerno in September 1943, now resides in the Ships of the Sea Museum.
|"Big Duke Alarm Bell, located on Oglethorpe Avenue|
near Abercorn Street in downtown Savannah, GA.
SAVANNAH CITY HALL BELL. September 11, 2002, the City of Savannah held two services in memory of the 9/11 tragedy of 2001. One was held in the first floor rotunda of City Hall with employees gathering around the fountain for a moment of silence and prayer, before pinning white ribbons on a wreath of remembrance. The following year, in 2003, a similar service was held during which the City Hall bells were rung at 9:59, the time of the collapse of the south World Trade Center tower, followed by a moment of silence.
|This bell obviously has a rich Savannah story. |
"In Loving Memory of Alfred E. Mills" is
inscribed on this bell in the gardens of
Independence Presbyterian Church.
The bells of St. John's Espiscopal Church, located on Madison Square, pealed out America when U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his mother passed in their motorcade during their Savannah visit (November 18, 1933).
During the Civil War, the bells of St. John's church were silenced in December 1864, following the orders of Union General William T. Sherman, who had taken up headquarters in the mansion next door, now Green-Meldrim House on Madison Square. He wanted to sleep! Source: Historic and picturesque Savannah by Adelaide Wilson
Rev'd A. Dale Umbreit Memorial Bell tower resides on Houston Street (516 E Saint Julian Street).
It was given by the Propeller Club and dedicated to the memory of the Port Chaplain 1975-1988.
There is an antique bell in the First African Baptist bell tower that overlooks Franklin Square in City Market. Don't you ever wonder how those heavy bells were raised to third floor heights?! A photograph by Tim Nealon is at this link.
There are two steeple towers in the majestic Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist, located on Lafayette Square. The steeple bell was cast in 1900 in Baltimore, MD and weights 4,730 lbs. The diameter is 59.5 inches. It's 49.75 feet tall. It's hung 96 feet above the ground.
About a 30 minute drive north, just off Highway 21 is the oldest bell in the Georgia colony, the bell of Ebenezer, Jerusalem Lutheran Church. "Two bells in the bellfry are used to toll the call to worship. An interesting story is behind the two bells. In 1738, before the church was built, the Rev. George Whitfield, English revivalist, visited Ebenezer and was so impressed by the community and its religious endeavors that upon returning to England, he sent them a gift. It was a bell, which was placed in the old wooden church that served them at that time. In 1750, the Salzburgers felt the need for a larger bell, since many of the congregation had moved further away and could not hear the original bell. So they wrote to Rev. Whitfield [founder of Bethesda Orphanage in Savannah] to send them another and larger bell, for which they paid. But on the arrival of the new bell, the congregation could not bear to give up their little bell. Both bells were then placed in Jerusalem Lutheran Church when it was completed. Since shortly after 1750, these two bells - the oldest bells in Georgia - have called the people to worship in Ebenezer. -- Source: Effingham County History
On Labor Day each year, the descendants of the Salzburger settlers of New Ebenezer gather for a reunion. The builder of Zeigler House Inn, lumber merchant and prominent Savannah citizen, Solomon Zeigler is a direct descendant.A model of the S. S. Savannah, the first steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean, is on display in the Savannah History Museum. The model is considered very detailed and accurate with lifeboats, gangway, brass ship bells, two water tanks, two anchors, two brass cannons, and a carved wooden head of Captain Moses Rogers standing on the poop deck. The model was on formerly on display in City Hall’s Council Chamber.
We hope you'll pause for a moment when you hear the bells chime in downtown Savannah's National Landmark Historic District. The sound is understood in every language on Earth: an important message is being communicated.
Not so unlike the poem I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day -- now a Christmas carol based on the 1863 poem Christmas Bells by American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -- the words tell of the narrator's despair, upon hearing Christmas bells, that "hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth, good will to men". The carol concludes with the bells carrying renewed hope for peace among men.
On June 21, 2015, the sobering bells of Charleston, South Carolina churches rang out at 10:00 a.m. to bring unity to the town and honor those murdered in Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, one of Charleston's historic churches. Source: AP / WTOC
"...Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
'God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
'God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men.'"
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Contact us for your Savannah visit / Savannah bed and breakfast getaway: Phone 912-233-5307 | USA Toll-free 866-233-5307 | Fax 912-233-0220 | 121 WEST Jones Street @ Barnard Street, Savannah, Georgia USA 31401; ZeiglerHouseInn.com; EMAIL email@example.com
Copyright © 2015 Zeigler House Inn. All rights reserved.