Sunday, February 2, 2014

"The Visual Architectural Delight of Savannah" includes Italinate Architecture: Zeigler House Inn and Comer House

Comer House (background left) overlooks
Monterey Square and the Pulaski Monument,
Pulaski Monument, designed by Robert
Launitz and erected in 1855.
 Frances Benjamin Johnston, photographer
Library of Congress, Carnegie Collection
SAVANNAH Georgia (February 2, 2014) -- Historic 19th Century architecture in Savannah is one of the city's magnificent treasures. We can thank, in part, Civil War General William Sherman for his decision not to burn Savannah during the Union army's infamous "March to the Sea" in 1864.  Remember, his army burned Atlanta and a swath of plantations and farms between Atlanta and Savannah, including Savannah River plantation homes in route into the city.

"After 1850, Savannah saw the rise of Italianate, Queen Anne, and Gothic and exotic revival styles. Many of these buildings are high style residences, exhibiting the prosperity of Savannah before the Civil War." Source: Historic Savannah Foundation
Two beautiful Italianate homes, both steeped in history in Savannah's Landmark Historic District, are our Zeigler House Inn (circa 1858), and the historic Comer House (circa 1880) on Monterey Square.

Why limit your enjoyment to Savannah's architecture from  streetside views? We'd love for you to plan your stay at our popular, historic Savannah bed and breakfast -- Zeigler House Inn, built by lumber merchant Solomon Zeigler.
The "visual architectural delight of Savannah manifests itself in three distinct scales, entwined to create a visual fabric unlike any city in the United States." -- Eric Meyerhoff, Savannah architect

We Love Another Italiante Home, Steeped with History

Comer House (2 East Taylor Street, Monterey Square).  Now a private residence not open to the public,
the Italianate styled home was originally constructed for Hugh M. Comer, President of the Central of Georgia Railway, in 1880. Six years later, Jefferson Davis, formerly the President of the Confederate States of America, was a guest of the Comers in their recently completed Italianate home overlooking Monterey Square.  

The Comer House with its striking burnt sienna stucco-over-brick overlay stands on the northeast corner of Bull and Taylor streets. Mr. Davis, accompanied by his daughter, Winnie Davis (widely known throughout the south as "the Daughter of the Confederacy") arrived in Savannah in early May of that year. The Davis entourage was escorted from Atlanta by a committee of Savannahians consisting of Hugh M. Comer, J. H. Estill, J. K. Carnett, George A. Mercer, J. R. Saussy, and General G. Moxley Sorrel. The trip to Savannah has been described as a "continuous ovation" for their beloved former leader.

The occasion of the visit of Jefferson Davis was the celebration of the centennial of the Chatham Artillery, one of the oldest and most distinguished military units in the United States. During his stay in Savannah, the former President of the confederacy received tributes of respect and affection from the local citizenry, visiting military organizations as well as from the thousands of visitors who attended the centennial festivities.

An historical marker was erected in Monterey Square in 1956 by the Georgia Historical Commission. The marker designates the historical significance of the Comer House as a result of the visit by Jefferson Davis to the home in 1886.

Additional reading:

Inspired Italianate, Savannah Magazine

Copyright © Zeigler House Inn / Sandy Traub

No comments:

Post a Comment